If your site is slow, people will leave. Hopefully, you already know that. What you may not know is that Google also uses site speed as a ranking factor. Bottom line- the faster you can make your site, the better. Here are 10 tips (and free tools) to speed up your site.
- Optimize Your Images. Use this software to reduce the size of your images.
- More Is Less. Remove elements you don’t really need.
- Don’t Use Images to Display Text. With CSS styles you can make text look pretty much any way you want.
- Use DIVs for Layout. Avoid using tables.
- Use Clean Code. Get rid of unnecessary code. Many free tools like CleanCSS can make optimization easier. Just be sure to ALWAYS backup your files before trying to optimize any code.
- Use Trailing Slashes When Linking to Directories. If you have your blog in a folder called “blog”, link to www.yoursite.com/blog/ (with a trailing slash at the end) as opposed to www.yoursite.com/blog.
- Use the Height and Width Tags. Don’t forget to use these tags for images and other elements.
- Avoid the Excessive Use of Flash. Flash animations can really slow your website down; avoid them if possible.
- Speed Up Your WordPress Site. If you have a WordPress site, use the WP Super Cache plugin.
Zeke Camusio is a serial entrepreneur, Internet marketing expert, published author, speaker and founder of an Internet Marketing Agency in Portland, OR
Latest posts by DST Contributor (see all)
- Survival Guide to Multilingual SEO - May 14, 2013
- Five Killer Link Bait Tips That Can Provide You With ‘Passive Marketing’ - May 11, 2013
- 5 US SEO Events to Visit to Spend a One Month Vacation with Purpose - May 9, 2013