Too many people get it completely wrong when they start building a website. They throw a site up and start asking people to buy their product. This is one of the saddest things in the world because you can’t expect someone to whip their credit card out when they first find you. It’s like trying to get your date into bed on the first night. It doesn’t happen like that and you have to wine and dine them first. You need to get to know them before they will give you their money.
That is why an email list is so important. Once you have someone on your list you can send them great emails. Because you are landing in their inbox on a regular basis and providing them with value they will learn to trust you. Now when you ask them to buy your product they will reach for their credit card as quickly as possible. I hope you seriously consider building a list and we can take a closer look at why it’s crucial so you will know you definitely need one.
Become their best friend
It’s very hard to become friends with someone when you’re publishing articles on your website. If you use video it’s a little different because people will know what you look and sound like. If you’re nice they will begin to trust you, but it’s still not enough. When you land in someone’s inbox every week the connection you make will become deeper. As soon as you offer a product you will sell a lot more than you would without an email list.
How much are your products worth? I guess you will never know unless you test it for yourself. When you have a big list you can send an offer to two small sections of it using two different prices. You will know which price earns you the most money and when you send the offer to the rest of the list you will have a better conversion rate. That is one small test that is impossible to carry out without a list. Do you really want to leave money on the table?
Target different people
There will come a time when you want to send out a broadcast message to a particular group of people. Maybe you only want to hear back from the people who have been on your list the longest. Or you could decide to send out a particular offer but you don’t want new subscribers to be overwhelmed. It’s easy to target the group of people you want because you can make sure people don’t see the message if they signed up before or after a particular date.
A customer for life
Once you get someone onto your email list they won’t just buy one product from you. As long as you keep sending them great information they will buy your products for life. That might be a slight exaggeration, but I think you know what I mean. Because you have them on your list you should take it easy. Don’t start sending offers to them all the time. Try to send helpful information 90% of the time and you can send offers the other 10%
Is it clear now?
I know you want to make a lot of money because we all do. Leaving money on the table when you can pick it up and put it in your pocket is pointless. Go away and start building your email list as soon as you can. When you start selling a lot more products you can come back and tell us all about it.
Alysson Preston is a business blogger by profession. On one of her blogs she has talked about the advantages of lead management software for business. For more information about marketing strategies visit this Linkedin page.