Writing press releases that grab the attention of editors and get published is a skill. Here are a handful of tips that will help your press releases gain the attention they deserve:
- Start with a killer headline. Make certain that its attention-grabbing, encouraging the reader to at least skim the story.
- Kick off with an introductory statement that summarises what the press release is about and provides further encouragement to read on.
- Introduce a question. E.g. ‘So how were these outstanding sales figures achieved?’ This sets the stage for the body of the press release.
- Include at least one quotation from an authoritative source such as the managing director or a head of department.
- Provide a succinct and accurate answer to the question posed earlier.
- Include a conclusion that reflects on the story and considers the future.
- Always provide accurate contact details including a telephone number, email address, street address and website so that editors can get in touch to corroborate the story and maybe request exclusivity.
Hopefully these little tips will help propel your press releases to the world at large. Good luck!
Tony is a Senior Search Engine Optimisation Engineer at FreshEgg.com