Using multiple websites (satellite sites) to market products in similar areas is something that many small business owners consider and usually practice. Using these websites to retail separate products can be effective, but what are the advantages of consolidating all of these together?
If your firm for example sells St Lucia holidays from one website and Barbados holidays from another site. These two websites clearly target two different audiences and both have their own unique terms to target (possibly even keyword rich URL’s as well). Starting off with the Cons of Consolidation, so the good side of satellite websites:
Cons to Consolidation:
- If the URL is keyword rich in your individual sites, you get an added bonus from Google, so if your site was StLuciaHolidays.com, you get an extra lift.
- You are link building one or two very specific terms to these sites meaning the power is very focused, and the ability to rank well is just as high.
- You can focus all of your content, so all of your references throughout the site will be to one location or product, which means your sites term relevance, is boosted.
- Your homepage will be even more powerful, because the majority of your terms will be directed here, with most of your anchor text rich links heading here as well.
- Directories can be picky about which page you link to, so with a site like this, the chance to link to the home page is a bonus, and directories prefer this to deep linking.
- Your homepage becomes a power page for select terms. All of the above makes your homepage all powerful, designed for specific terms. There is no need to link to deeper pages.
Pros to Consolidation:
- Power directed into one single domain.
- Your Brand image can be expanded across other audiences and press coverage becomes easier to produce and cheaper.
- All of your terms benefit from the boost the homepage receives when all the power is funnelled through one domain.
- Social Networking can be expanded as well, targeting a greater audience allowing your site to receive greater recognition, further building a single brand.
- One disadvantage with having multiple satellite sites is that if you link between them, there is a chance that they appear to Google as “Link Farms” designed specifically to build power between each other. This could damage rankings and devalue link power.
- Building links to deeper pages passes power though the sites, and with combined power from the homepage gives a more realistic relevance to the deeper pages, which improves Google trust.
Mark works as an SEO for a Worthing based Search Engine Optimisation company.
Latest posts by DST Contributor (see all)
- Survival Guide to Multilingual SEO - May 14, 2013
- Five Killer Link Bait Tips That Can Provide You With ‘Passive Marketing’ - May 11, 2013
- 5 US SEO Events to Visit to Spend a One Month Vacation with Purpose - May 9, 2013