If you have looked up your business address or company name on Google maps you may want to check if the map marker is in the right location. There are errors on maps occasionally based on oddities that may show your physical address on a map in the wrong location.
Aside from claiming your business listing at Google and other geo-listing websites, Google does allow for community edits to modify the map marker to make it more accurate for everyone. If you find the map marker in the wrong physical location on the Google map, you can move it to the right location with the following steps.
1. After you search for an address or business, click the map marker and you will see the info window appear.
2. If the marker is in the wrong location, in the info window, click on “more” and then click on “move marker”
3. Now you can drag the marker to the correct location. You can use the “X: to help you place the marker. Proper protocol is to place the map marker at the entrance of the location.
4. Click Save.
Here are a few notes you will need to be aware of before proceeding with the above steps.
1. You will need to be logged into Google with a Google account
2. Google will need to review a change if the marker is moved more than 200 meters.
3. A marker cannot be moved if the local business listing has already been verified and verified listings can only be edited by the account owner of that local business listing.
If all else fails if you have problems with Google maps, click on the “Report A Problem” link and report the issue to Google.
The Internet has become a good marketing source for the local business dependent upon the local consumer for their revenue through web searches and mobile searches. Tap into the power of geo-listings as you engage in geo-marketing!
This is a guest post by Melih Oztalay of SmartFinds that provides Local Business Listing Management Services. You will find SmartFinds Internet Marketing to be of great benefit to your time resources and the low cost service may eliminate your yellow page ad costs. Let the experts of over 15 years Internet marketing experience help you use this local business marketing tool properly.