Many of you know that I am heavily into various SEO, social media and productivity tools. Therefore I often get requests from people to point them to various tools based on their needs. Someone once asked me about a tool that could generate the list of domains for several related search queries. I wasn’t aware of a standalone tool like that, so I decided to develop it. The utility I have come up with is Competitive Research Tool and it is now ready.
Here’s a short video overview first (details after the click!)
The tool is very easy to use: 1. Provide up to ten (preferably) related search phrases, let it be:
2. Select the number of search engine results you want the tool to go through (up to 50) and the county you want to target:
3. The tool will search Google for the given phrases and find domains that were found in a number of different search results page. You will see the tool generate the list of these domains and the number of “overlaps”. “Overlaps” stand for the number of times each domain was found for each search term.
4. You can now retrieve some basic stats for each of the domains or all of them: Alexa Rank, Google PR, backlinks (per Yahoo! SiteExplorer) and number of pages returned for SITE: search in Google.
5. You can also see DETAILS for each domain. DETAILS link will reveal which pages from this domain were found and which Google ranking they currently have.
6. Feel free to export any of the generated table to a CSV file to save it and work further on the results.
The tool wasn’t meant to be commercial in any way but I did make some of the features paid. Those features allow to generate the SEO-relevant data in bulk and require huge server overload, so this was the only reason why I had to hide them from the public use.
The tool requires registration. Logged-in users also get access to small forums where you can discuss the tool, report the bugs and ask me personally or each other any SEO-related questions you need.
Feel free to try the tool and let me know what you think!