Another recent shift with Google’s ranking algorithm is “stacking” for brand based searches. This is a fantastic opportunity to maximize your coverage within the top 10 results for your brand name, and also a great chance to bury potentially harmful content, negative reviews or disgruntled customers from the SERPs.
It doesn’t take much for people to jump on a high horse and go on a holy crusade to destroy your perfect online reputation, using sites like compaintsboard and ripoff report to tell the world how they’ve been wronged. Now, don’t get me wrong, I’m all for freedom of speech, but what I don’t like, (and run into on an almost weekly basis) is these mega sites outranking actual brands for their own search terms!
If your a legitimate company and you’ve been around a few years, your bound to run into the occasional nut job here or there and with the power of these mega complains websites at their fingertips, it’s incredibly easy for them to get rankings for your brand names due to the sheer power and authority of them.
Now, with Google stacked results, it’s becoming a lot easier to help maintain that vital front page of results for your brand name. Here is how you can help push the negative off the front page, protect your brand name and online reputation, and also increase your potential click through rate:
- Create all the popular social profiles, being sure to include your web address in the profile (twitter, Facebook and Linkdin seem to have the most chance of a top 5 listing quickly)
- Encourage your visitors / shoppers / readers to go and post honest testimonials and reviews, maybe even insentivize it with a small coupon code or VIP access.
- Work on your internal and deep linking to encourage Google to generate site links
- Create something on a sub domain, maybe a forum or blog.
In my next post, I’ll go over how to create alerts which will automatically let you know when new content gets indexed for your brand terms, and go into a bit more detail on how you can lock down your brand name searches!
This is a guest tip by Simon from “SEO Audit“
Note from Ann: also be sure to read this post by Ian Lurie sharing some great tips on how to “win” stacked treatment for your brand in Google SERPs
Latest posts by DST Contributor (see all)
- Survival Guide to Multilingual SEO - May 14, 2013
- Five Killer Link Bait Tips That Can Provide You With ‘Passive Marketing’ - May 11, 2013
- 5 US SEO Events to Visit to Spend a One Month Vacation with Purpose - May 9, 2013