The following guest tip is by Eric Gesinski
Most SEOs and internet marketers are already quite aware of Google’s free keyword tool. However, there are some details that you should pay attention to when you use this tool to get the best results when doing your keyword research here.
1) Make sure to show all columns. To do this, select the “Show/hide columns” drop down list, and choose “Show all”. The reason to do this is to check trending and to see what the average CPC (cost per click) is for top ranking on the paid results for these keywords.
2) Under “Match Type” in the right-most column, select “Exact”. This will show a much more accurate count for the keywords you are researching, since it gives a monthly count for that exact keyword (as opposed to all phrases containing that keyword in addition to phrases Google considers related to that keyword).
When you’ve done these things in this tool, you’ll get a better idea of the number of times these phrases are searched for, in addition to how much people are willing to spend to rank highly in the paid search listings. This can often indicate the higher quality keywords that may not get as much traffic but have good conversion value.
Latest posts by Ann Smarty (see all)
- What is the Current State with Directories? - April 29, 2013
- Get on Top of Google SERP by Optimizing for Local Search Results - February 9, 2013
- Get Tweets and Likes at Viral Content Buzz - October 12, 2012