Sticky-Wiki Dos and Don’ts: How to Improve your Chances of Maintaining an Incoming Link on Wikipedia
*This blog post was written by a guest blogger that specializes in Boston SEO services.*
Imagine how much traffic you could get with a longstanding link to your site from Wikipedia. This would be incredibly valuable for your company profile and reputation. Only problem is, Wikipedia definitions can and are constantly edited and changed by anyone with a computer and internet access (brainpower is not a requirement, unfortunately.)
Luckily, there are some tips that can help you retain an incoming link on Wikipedia.
Here are the Wiki link retention dos and don’ts:
- Link to a Wikipedia article from your site in an attempt to be reciprocated.
This just won’t work. Plus, you are linking to content that is changing so frequently, you can’t always know what it is. Directing your visitors to low quality content will damage your site credibility.
- Create a profile that makes it obvious that you are in the internet marketing business, seeking improved rankings out of your Wiki participation, or are a self-promoting blogger.
Wikipedia and its users will immediately sabotage your leveraging attempt if they think you have a cheap alterior motive for participating.
- Consistently spend time contributing to and improving Wikipedia entries of all genres.
This will legitimize your participation and others will appreciate your invested interested in improving this resource. This means people will be more willing to overlook subtle self-promoting content that you add.
- To further improve your reputation on Wiki, (and therefore your chances of incoming link retention,) add content to wiki subjects that you are actually knowledgeable about.
That way you’ve done your part to contribute to the integrity of the site—consider it good karma.
- Any time your edit an entry in your own self-interest, take the time to also add something that is generally valuable to other Wikipedia entries.
This will help disguise your agenda.
- If you can’t think of a topic to contribute to, click the Random Article link on the navigation sidebar.
This will let Wiki randomly suggest some topics to you, and diversify the breadth of your topic entries.
- Notice which information sources linked to on other wiki entries have maintained a link for an extended period of time. Insert links to similarly high retention link resources on your own Wikipedia entry page.
Keep a running list of these sources; frequently, they are reputable blogs, news sources, and informative guides.
There’s no guarantee that following these tips will give you an established incoming link from Wikipedia; however, overtime, as you build your merit by consistently contributing valuable material, the odds of maintaining a sticky-wiki link become increasingly more favorable.
Latest posts by DST Contributor (see all)
- Survival Guide to Multilingual SEO - May 14, 2013
- Five Killer Link Bait Tips That Can Provide You With ‘Passive Marketing’ - May 11, 2013
- 5 US SEO Events to Visit to Spend a One Month Vacation with Purpose - May 9, 2013