Google is the main driver of search engine traffic and quality content is the main stay that is used by Google to rank sites. When Google makes changes in its algorithm, the search engine industry catches a cold and needs to rethink their strategies which they are using to reach the top of the charts.
This is something that has happened with the latest Google update called the Panda update. Through with this update, Google has tried to reduce the rankings of content farms or sites with low quality content – basically the high PR article sites that search engine marketers used for getting easy backlinks and get the benefit of the link juice.
Even though Google updated its algorithm many times in past, this update was significant as many sites that used to rank well and on the first page registered a significant drop in their rankings and eventually traffic.
Let’s check out some of the article sites that got hit hard
These are one of the top article sites which used to be the top choice for article directory for article marketers. They used to pass nice link juice for quality content submitted regularly. This obviously increased the website’s search engine rankings. Other important directories like Buzzle recently announced that they would not allow external links anymore in the articles submitted by authors.
Does Article Marketing and Distribution Still Work following the Panda update?
The industry is divided over this with strong arguments for and against article marketing. In my opinion, Article marketing will live though changes will have to be made to adapt to the new environment.
The revised strategy should have more focus on the below:
- Quality content: No more Spam and low quality content. Quality content is the king and way forward.
- Authority: The publisher should strive to be considered as Authority in the field as search engines can decipher that.
- More Quality content on the website
- Submission of niche article directories and separate content for each. Not the same copy submitted to hundred sites.
- More usage of Social Media and integration with the article strategy.
- Effective Use of Article marketing communities like Hubpages and Squidoo.
Google Panda’s update will make those seo experts rethink their strategies that relied only on article marketing till now to increase rankings. They need to follow a more holistic approach to SEO to maintain their websites rankings and positions.
Ultimately, it is a boon for the end search engine user as only the relevant content and sites are on the top of rankings and not content farms and garbage content as was the norm in most cases.
About the author: Catherine Jones writes for http://www.toyotaplace.com. She enjoys content and writing about the social sphere. Toyota place does not have a blog of its own
Latest posts by DST Contributor (see all)
- Survival Guide to Multilingual SEO - May 14, 2013
- Five Killer Link Bait Tips That Can Provide You With ‘Passive Marketing’ - May 11, 2013
- 5 US SEO Events to Visit to Spend a One Month Vacation with Purpose - May 9, 2013