We tend to spend much of our time focused on Google, yet Yahoo has local listings for businesses as well. Just like Google the basic service is free to businesses. Yahoo! Local Listings gives businesses the ability to provide detailed business information like products and service local consumers on Yahoo! Local.
Yahoo! does have some requirements that businesses need to adhere to in order to take advantage of this local business marketing tool.
- First of all Yahoo! Local is only for the United States, so your address has to be a U.S. address.
- Your business must operate a physical store location or service a local region. This, also, translates into “no P.O. Boxes”.
- The category you select for your business at Yahoo! Local must be reflective of your business.
- You need a functional website, in English, in order to register your business with Yahoo! Local.
- You are only allowed by business listings. No duplicates.
- You will need to provide detailed business information that include hours of operation, credit cards accepted, and other information that is valuable to the local consumer.
Of course there are the illegal activity issues that need to be considered as well. The business and the website “must not contain any content, products, services or other information that, in Yahoo!’s reasonable determination may be illegal to sell under any applicable law, statute, ordinance or regulation, that may infringe or violate anyone’s rights, or that, Yahoo! believes, in its sole discretion, is inflammatory, offensive, or otherwise inconsistent with the spirit of the Service”.
The above information would fall into the category of the minimum requirements and Yahoo! is the final authority to determine if they will allow a listing to be active for local consumers to find.
The Internet has become a good marketing tool for the local business dependent upon the local consumer for their revenue through web searches and mobile searches. Tap into the power of geo-listings as you engage in geo-marketing!
This is a guest post by Melih Oztalay of SmartFinds that provides Local Business Listing Management Services. You will find SmartFinds Internet Marketing to be of great benefit to your time resources and the low cost service may eliminate your yellow page ad costs. Let the experts of over 15 years Internet marketing experience help you use this local business marketing tool properly.